Camp NaNoWriMo April 18: Week One Update.

Since the beginning of the year. I've been working on a re-write of my 2011 urban-fantasy Sibylline Nights, which I've since renamed Triquetra: Choosing Sides. 

I'm on just over 26k words right now, and am taking part in Camp NaNoWriMo with the aim to get the story to at least 65k by the end of April (I'd already written 15k between January and March, and I'm aiming to add 50k in April). 

Some aspects are the same - i.e. the main characters, their names, abilities and backstory/ history, and the theme is still centred around magic and witches. But previously, the story didn't have a clear direction and I didn't feel like the early chapters were distinct enough (it's really tough having three main point of view characters. Gods only know how GRRM does it). 

Now I feel the story has a clear direction, and I have a more thought out chapter plan that's helping me write. Plus I've changed the early chapters so that they're more distinct from each other, where as in the original draft all three MCs went through the same experience, so it was sort of repetitive. Now there isn't that repetition. 

I'm so happy with where it's going, and excited to write this first draft, then get to work on revisions. If you're interested in learning more, I post about it on social media, and this month I've been taking part in the WIP Joy challenge, as well as posting daily snippets from my Camp NaNo progress.

If you're interested in knowing what's been going on in my non-writing life, you can head over to my blog for a full update. http://www.claredugmore.com/blog/long-time-no-blog

1 comment:

  1. Glad you have a clear direction and are chugging away to your word count. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read this entry, and comment. I really appreciate it.